Feeding the family is a daily challenge. You strive for balance, flavour and variety. This smoked sausage couscous recipe checks off all the boxes for flavour and nutrition! For a more sophisticated twist, replace the smoked sausage with Toulouse or merguez.
- 225 g package Olymel Smoked Sausages, cut into 5-cm (2-inch) slices
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 310 mL (1 1/4 cups) of chicken stock
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) of raisins
- 250 mL (1 cup) of frozen peas
- 250 mL (1 cup) of corn kernels
- 310 mL (1 1/4 cups) of medium wheat semolina (couscous)
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) of butter
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) of maple syrup
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of Dijon mustard
- 45 mL (3 tablespoons) of water
- Heat 15 mL (1 tablespoon) oil in a pan over medium-high heat and sauté garlic with onion, carrots and red pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Add stock and raisins and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in peas, corn and couscous. Set aside for 5 minutes, covered, or until all the chicken stock has been absorbed.
- Melt butter in a pan and brown sausages. Mix maple syrup with Dijon mustard and water, add to sausages and cook for 5 minutes. Serve sausages on top of couscous with vegetables.