- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into thick slices
- 2 pinches dried oregano
- 2 ciabatta squares
- 150 g crumb-coated mock chicken, sliced
- 2 slices Fontina cheese
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 handful parsley leaves
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Separate onion slices into rings, spread them out on a baking sheet that's been lined with parchment paper, drizzle over olive oil, sprinkle on oregano and bake 20 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Open up ciabatta breads, brush with olive oil and toast in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When the onion rings are well roasted, pile them into two small mounds the size of the ciabatta breads and place the Fontina slices on top. Turn off heat and return to oven for 5 minutes. The cheese should melt but not burn.
- Divide mock chicken slices between the two bread bottoms, add parsley leaves then the onion-cheese mounds, garnish with baby spinach and close sandwiches. Serve immediately.