Provençal Pork Ribs
- 5 lb (2.27 kg) Quebec pork back ribs or spare ribs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato juice
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) dried herbes de Provence
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cover ribs with water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently from 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the meat separates from the bone. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and soften garlic. Add tomato, tomato juice, tomato paste, and herbs. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stir in honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat barbecue to medium or place oven rack in middle position and preheat to broil.
- In a dish, coat ribs with sauce. Grill ribs for 5 to 6 minutes on each side on the barbecue or place on a baking sheet in the oven, basting regularly with sauce.