- 2 slices double-smoked Black Forest ham (about 1 cm thick)
- 1 red onion, cut into fine slices (on the mandolin)
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 onion Kaiser rolls, toasted
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) grainy mustard
- ¾ cup (180 ml) sauerkraut (store bought)
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Dill pickle, to taste
- Place onion slices in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and let soften for 15 minutes.
- After, place onion slices in a colander and rinse under cold running water shaking thoroughly. Drain well and pat dry.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat, add a glug of oil and brown the ham slices, 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until nicely coloured.
- Spread mustard on rolls, place ham slices on bottoms and garnish with sauerkraut then onion slices.
- Close sandwiches and serve immediately, accompanied by dill pickles.