- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup (125 ml) flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) grated parmesan
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced (about 1 cm/1/2 in. thick)
- 1 thin baguette, cut in two and toasted
- 150 g white cooked ham, sliced
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) basil pesto
- ¼ cup (60 ml) marinara sauce, hot
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated Italian cheese mix
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Place egg, flour and breadcrumbs on three deep plates.
- Salt and pepper the flour and mix well.
- Add the parmesan to the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Flour the eggplant slices, dip them in the beaten egg, then roll them in the bread crumbs, pressing down firmly so crumbs adhere well.
- Place breaded slices side by side on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 20 minutes tuning midway through cooking. Place baguette on a baking sheet, brush with pesto then marinara sauce.
- Spread out the slices of cooked ham, place the eggplant slices on top and cover with grated cheese.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and starts to colour.
- Serve immediately.