- 454 g double-smoked Black Forest ham, cut into 1 cm thick slices
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 container brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- ½ tbsp. (7.5 ml) chili powder
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato paste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) brown sugar
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- Cut ham into sticks. Set aside.
- In a cast iron casserole, sauté the onion, pepper and mushrooms in a little oil until lightly coloured.
- Add the ham, garlic and chili powder and cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken stock and mix well.
- Add tomato paste, chili sauce, vinegar and brown sugar, season with salt and pepper, mix well and let simmer 30 minutes stirring regularly.
- For serving, stack the mixture on the buns sprinkling grated cheese on top.
- Serve hot.