We're happy to announce that, not only is 2017 the Year of the Rooster, it's the year of bacon, too! So now you can serve bacon in every dish from soup to dessert, like these maple-glazed mini beignets with caramelized bacon. Long live the culinary horoscope!
- 24 store-bought plain or old-fashioned mini-doughnuts (munchkin style)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) milk
- Few drops vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices Olymel regular or maple-flavoured bacon
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (205 C).
- Cook bacon slices in oven until half done, let drain on paper towel and refrigerate.
- In a deep round bowl combine the brown sugar, syrup and spices.
- Dip bacon slices one at a time in the brown sugar mix, shake off excess and transfer to an oiled grill over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until bacon is crisp. Remove immediately from oven and let stand one minute. Cut each slice into three with kitchen shears.
- Ina bowl whisk together all ingredients. If the glaze is too thick, add a little milk to thin.
- Warm up doughnuts in the oven.
- With the point of a knife, make a cut in the top of each mini doughnut and insert a piece of bacon in each cut.
- Transfer doughnuts to a muffin tin and pour on maple glaze. Serve immediately.