For anyone looking for a fresh take on pizza, try making it with caramelized onions and rocket lettuce on ciabatta bread… not forgetting, of course, the pepperoni.
- 350 g Olymel Amoré pepperoni
- 1 ciabatta-style baguette
- 350 g grated pizza cheese mix
- 200 ml marinara sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100 g arugula leaves
- 8 fresh basil leaves, shredded with scissors
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons parmesan shavings
- dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. (205° C.).
- Warm a little olive oil in a frying pan, add chopped onion and cook, stirring, until onions are caramelized. Season with oregano, salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the ciabatta-style baguette in half lengthwise. Brush the outside with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and top with tomato sauce, caramelized onions, pepperoni and basil, ending with the cheese. Bake in the oven until cheese has browned. Cut into four equal pieces.
- Place arugula in a bowl and combine with parmesan, remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper and top ciabattas with arugula salad.