« Perfect to impress your friends at a picnic. »
With 1 layer of meat, 1 layer of cheese and olives, 1 layer of onion and peppers, and fresh basil leaves topping it all off, this muffuletta sandwich stretches all the way to heaven!
- 1 medium-sized round loaf of bread
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100 g Olymel salami, sliced
- 100 g Olymel bologna, sliced
- 100 g Olymel pepperoni, sliced
- 180 g provolone or mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) black Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 20 leaves of basil
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in frying pan over high heat. Sauté onion and red pepper for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix remaining olive oil with garlic. Cut off and keep top of bread loaf. Use a spoon to hollow out the bread, leaving a rim of about 2 cm (1 inch).
- Brush inside of loaf with garlic-oil mixture.
- Place alternating layers of all ingredients in the cavity, pressing down between each layer. Fill cavity completely.
- Put top of loaf back in place. Wrap loaf tightly in aluminum foil. Refrigerate until the next day.
- At serving time, remove loaf from the fridge and leave at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Cut into eight wedges.