Corn bread with sausage
- 1 package of Toulouse sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) of salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of corn oil
- 1 box (284 ml) of creamed corn
- 2 cups (500 ml) of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of corn flour
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) of baking powder
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) of lemon juice
- Softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Remove sausages from their casings and brown the meat in a non-stick pan at medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the onion and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly beat eggs with the sugar and salt, then pour in buttermilk and continue beating the mixture.
- Stir in the corn and cheddar until well blended.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, and incorporate them to the batter. Stir until smooth.
- Butter a square, 9 X 9 mould and pour in half the batter.
- Spread the sausage and onion mixture on top, then pour in the remaining batter, making sure to smooth over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or hot.