Pepperoni and Italian sausage sauce
« Use sauce on your favourite pasta or when assembling lasagne. »
Pasta's getting a makeover! For a thick, flavourful sauce, add some pepperoni and Italian sausage. Tuesday night supper will be an instant sensation!
- 300 g Olymel pepperoni, cut into thick slices and then diced
- 1 450-g package Olymel Amore Italian mild or spicy sausage meat
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 can (796 ml) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (796 ml) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (156 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ground red pepper to taste (optional)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- Brown sausage meat in large pan in 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oil; when cooked, add pepperoni and cook two minutes longer, stirring. Remove from pan and drain off fat. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, sauté onions, carrot, celery and garlic in remaining oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for one minute; add whole tomatoes crushed by hand, with tomato sauce, oregano, bay leaves, thyme and ground red pepper if using. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer gently, stirring and scraping bottom of pan from time to time, for about 2 hours or till sauce has thickened.