Your friends call and say they'll be there in 20 minutes for a surprise visit. Better break out the calzone mini-bites you've pre-prepared and frozen! Warm them up in the oven and serve with a simple salad and you're in business!
- 250 g Olymel Amoré pepperoni
- 350 g pizza dough
- all-purpose flour
- 650 g grated three-cheese pizza mix
- 250 ml tomato sauce
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water
- 250 ml (1 cup) tepid water (not too hot)
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) instant yeast
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- Mix water, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Mix flour and salt in a big bowl. Form a well and gradually add yeast mixture until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead on a surface dusted with flour for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed to avoid sticking. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean, damp cloth. Let dough rise in a warm, dark place for about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into four equal pieces. On a work surface dusted with flour, roll dough out to desired thickness. Cut out 7 cm circles with a cutter.
- Brush each circle of dough with beaten egg. Spread a little tomato sauce in the centre of each circle, then top with pepperoni and cheese. Fold filled circles, forming half-moon shapes. Press down firmly with a fork around the edge. Brush calzones with beaten egg. Place on baking sheets covered with parchment paper.
- Let rise on top of hot stove for 15 minutes. Use fork to re-shape calzones if needed. Bake in 400° F. (200° C.) oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until dough has browned nicely.