Croque Witloof with Ham (or Belgian Croque)
- 150 g pepper smoked ham, sliced
- 3 endives
- 2/3 cup (170 ml) cold béchamel sauce
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 slices country-style bread
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Remove endive hearts and shred fine.
- Melt 1 spoon of butter and cook endives over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring regularly. Add salt and pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place 2 slices of bread on a baking sheet, spread with half the béchamel and top with the ham slices and cooked endives. Sprinkle over half the grated cheese.
- Spread the remaining slice of bread with half the remaining béchamel and place sauce side down on the bases.
- Spread the tops of the croques with the remaining béchamel sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly on top.
- Serve hot.