Corn Dog Dumbbells
- 6 hot dog sausages (6 in.)
- 1 cup (250 ml) stone-ground corn meal (medium)
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (125 ml) melted butter
- 20 brightly coloured skewers or toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut wieners into 2.5 cm (1 in.) pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
- Place the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in another bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Do not overmix.
- Oil a 36-cup mini-muffin tray and spoon 1 tbsp. of the corn dog coating into each cup.
- Place 1 wiener piece (upright) into each cup and bake immediately for 10 minutes or until muffins start to brown.
- Remove and let cool on a grate.
- Skewer a muffin on each end of a skewer, place on a serving platter and serve with ketchup.