Ham on French Toast Gratiné
- 8 slices old-fashioned smoked ham
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) 35% cream
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) brown sugar
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) vanilla
- 8 slices honey whole wheat bread
- 200 g Louis D'Or cheese, grated
- Butter for cooking
- Maple syrup, to taste
- Blueberries, for garnish
- Break the eggs into a small mixing bowl, pour in the milk, cream and vanilla, salt lightly and whisk together thoroughly.
- Place the mixture in a pie plate or flat-bottomed bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°F and place a small baking sheet inside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and melt 1 spoon of butter.
- When butter is almost melted, dip in 1 slice of bread and turn to ensure bread is soaked yet not falling apart. Lower the bread slice into the foaming butter and repeat the process with 1 or 2 more slices.
- When the bottoms are nicely browned, using a flexible spatula, turn the slices and cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and place in oven.
- Repeat the procedure with the remaining bread slices placing them in the oven to keep warm as you go.
- Place the French toast side by side on a baking sheet.
- Place 1 slice of ham on each, then some of the grated Louis d'Or cheese.
- Turn on the broiler and broil the French toast for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place 2 pieces on each plate. Drizzle over with maple syrup and decorate with a few blueberries. Serve hot.