- 8 slices mock chicken
- 1 large rectangular flatbread or 2 square flatbreads
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 cup (250 ml) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- Place flatbread on a work surface, long edge left to right, or place 2 square breads to form a rectangle.
- Mix cream cheese with the mayonnaise.
- Spread bread with the cheese mix and cover with mock chicken slices taking care to leave a 1.5 cm strip uncovered along the top edge. The cream cheese covered section serves to bind the rolls together for easy cutting and handling.
- Cut off one end of a cucumber to form a 5 cm log. This will be the snake's head.
- Slice the remaining cucumber with a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Place cucumber slices slightly overlapping to cover mock chicken slices completely.
- Place pepper strips one after the other on the long edge of the bread.
- Roll up the flatbread; the pepper strips will form the centre of the roll.
- Place the roll seam-side down and cut into 16 sections.
- Place the sections in an S-shaped row on a cutting board or large platter, spacing them slightly.
- Dig out two eye holes in the piece of cucumber for the head, then insert a red pepper strip in the end to make the tongue.
- Place head at one end of snake.
- Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.