- 500 ml (2 cups) ketchup
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 190 ml (¾ cup) whisky (Jack Daniel's)
- 65 ml (¼ cup) brown sugar
- 65 ml (¼ cup) maple syrup
- 65 ml (¼ cup) tomato paste
- 65 ml (¼ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) liquid hickory smoke (optional)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 7 ml (1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper)
- 3.5 ml (½ tsp.) salt
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
To simplify preparation, follow the first two steps then substitute a 750 ml bottle of store bought BBQ sauce for the remaining ingredients.
- In a saucepan, combine the olive oil and chopped onion and cook over high heat stirring constantly until onions - are caramelized, then add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the whisky and flambé the alcohol, then continue cooking until flame goes out.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.