Pulled Pork Shoulder with Beer
- 1 Olymel pork shoulder - 2.2 kg
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large apples cored and cut into pieces
- 250 ml strong beer
- 156 ml (1 can) tomato paste
- 125 ml (½ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Dijon mustard
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) prepared mustard
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) chili powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) paprika
- Tabasco or sriracha sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place grate in centre of oven.
- Place onions and apples in a Dutch oven (or a roasting pan).
- Place pork shoulder in the Dutch oven.
- In a bowl combine the tomato paste, brown sugar, cider vinegar, beer, chili powder and hot sauce. Pepper generously and add a pinch of salt.
- Pour half of the mixture over the pork. With your hands, coat the meat. Turn meat over and pour on remaining mixture.
- Cover and roast in the oven for 3 to 3½ hours or until meat can be pulled apart easily with a fork. Let cool. Using two forks, pull the pork. Remove the fat.
- Use the pulled pork in your favourite recipes.