Poor man's pudding with bacon
No, that isn't a typo. We took your favourite dessert to the next level by adding bacon. Feel free to make a double batch because your guests will ask for seconds.
- 6 slices of Olymel maple flavour naturally smoked bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup of butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of flour
- 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of 15% cooking cream
- 1 cup of water
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a pan, cook the bacon for 6 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat until crispy. Spread out on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
- In a second bowl, cream the sugar and butter (mix until the sugar has dissolved in the butter and the mixture is white and fluffy).
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla to the sugar and butter mixture. Whip.
- Add the flour and baking powder mixture and half of the bacon and mix well.
- In another bowl, whip the brown sugar, cream and water. Pour into a glass ovenproof dish (Pyrex, for example).
- Add the dough mixture to the syrup mixture. Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with the remaining bacon