- 150 g traditional cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 4 slices country-style bread
- 1 ½ tbsp. (22.5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup (170 ml) grated gruyère cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- Salt and pepper
- Butter for cooking
- Spread the 4 slices of bread with mustard and divide the ham between 2 of them.
- Cover with grated cheese and close the sandwiches, pressing firmly.
- Beat the eggs and milk omelet-style, season with salt and pepper, and pour into a deep baking dish (or pie plate).
- Heat up a cast iron pan big enough for the 2 sandwiches side by side and melt the butter over medium heat.
- Dip the sandwiches quickly into the egg mixture wetting both sides and place in the foaming butter. Press sandwiches down firmly with a spatula until bottoms are golden brown.
- Turn sandwiches and continue cooking until tops are browned.
- Cut sandwiches in 2 and serve immediately.