- 3 small zucchini cut into ½ cm thick strips (on a mandolin)
- 3 small eggplants, cut into ½ cm thick strips (on a mandolin)
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 large yellow peppers
- 1 large onion focaccia (or herb)
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) basil pesto
- 1 ball (about 250 g) fresh mozzarella, cut into ½ cm thick slices
- 300 g old-fashioned smoked ham, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to maximum heat.
- Place whole peppers on lower grill and cook turning regularly until blackened on all sides.
- Remove peppers from oven and place in brown paper bag. Close bag and let sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the remaining vegetables on the lower grill until just softened. Do not overcook. Remove and set aside.
- Remove peppers from bag, peel, core and seed and give them a quick rinse under cold running water to remove particles. Pat dry thoroughly.
- Cut pepper into slices.
- Cut focaccia into a top section and a bottom section and remove some of the soft crumb inside.
- Spread the bottom with the pesto and layer on the grilled vegetables, taking care to alternate colours.
- Cover the veggies with old-fashioned smoked ham slices, then mozzarella.
- Pepper generously.
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic wrap so as to compress the ingredients and place on a platter or baking sheet, then place a second platter (or baking sheet) on top, place in fridge then weigh down with two large cans.
- Let rest overnight before serving.