Braised Pork Belly with Maple Glaze
- 1 Olymel pork belly - 2.6 kg
- 500 ml (2 cups) apple juice
- 2 beers of your choice
- 125 ml brown sugar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Maple glaze
- 125 ml (½ cup) maple syrup
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) soy sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp. ) balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Add the apple juice, beer, onion, garlic and rosemary to a roasting pan.
- Brush pork belly with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place in the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook in oven for 7 hours.
- Remove the pork belly and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place a second baking sheet over the meat with a weight on top. Refrigerate 12 hours. Cut pork belly into 12 equal rectangles and transfer to a baking sheet. Brush meat with maple glaze.
- Cook 8 minutes in a 375°F (190°C) oven, then raise temperature to broil towards the end of cooking for a nice crispy skin.