- 150 g garlic bologna, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin (on a mandolin)
- ½ cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp. (22.5 ml) brown sugar
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) crushed caraway seeds
- 2 soft pretzels, cut in 2
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) beer mustard
- Pour vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add brown sugar, salt, pepper and caraway seeds and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place red onion slices in a glass or stainless steel bowl, pour boiling vinegar solution over top, stir well and let cool in refrigerator.
- Toast the pretzel halves, spread the insides with mustard and place bologna slices on the bottom sections.
- Garnish the sandwiches with the pickled onions and serve immediately.