- 2 packages (150 g) old fashioned smoked chicken breast, shaved
- 1 tray brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed & chopped
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) bechamel sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 grater passes of nutmeg
- 4 slices of multigrain panini, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp. butter, for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- Place the bechamel in a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat stirring constantly. Add the cheese and nutmeg and continue cooking until cheese is completely melted.
- Transfer the Mornay sauce into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap pressed directly into contact with the sauce and let cool.
- Melt the butter in a stainless steel pan and fry the mushrooms until they just start to colour, add salt and pepper and rosemary and cook another minute. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and place rack in middle position of oven.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and spread with a generous layer of Mornay sauce.
- Arrange smoked chicken slices on top, then the mushrooms and cover with another layer of Mornay sauce.
- Bake 12 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and starting to colour.
- Serve piping hot.