Asian Fried Bologna Burger
- 200 g bologna, sliced thin
- 1 package (114 g) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tbsp. (7.5 ml) Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. (22.5 ml) sriracha sauce
- 2 hamburger rolls
- 1 cup (250 ml) kimchi
- Oil, for cooking
- Butter, for cooking
- Heat a large cast iron frying pan and toast the inside of the bread/rolls without
- using butter until bread is dark brown, almost black. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt 2 spoons of butter in a bit of oil over medium high heat and
- cook the mushrooms 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and the 5-spice mixture and continue cooking for 2 minutes
- stirring constantly. Keep warm.
- Place hoisin and sriracha sauces in a bowl and mix well.
- In the same pan add oil as needed and fry a few bologna slices, turning
- frequently, until edges are well browned. Remove from heat, brush generously
- with the sauce mix and keep warm. Repeat with remaining bologna slices.
- Build the burgers by stacking 4 or 5 bologna slices per base, then top with the
- fried shiitake mushrooms and a healthy amount of kimchi.
- Serve very hot with the remaining sauce on the side.