- 6 honey & garlic sausages
- 3 portobello mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cm thick)
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into 8
- 1 large red pepper, cut into 8
- 1 large orange pepper, cut into 8
- 2 medium eggplant, cut into rounds (about 1 cm thick)
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into rounds (about 1 cm thick)
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) basil pesto
- 1 mozzarella ball, cut into thin slices
- 1 large rectangular focaccia, cut in 2 (plain, herb, etc.)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the BBQ to maximum and cook sausages on lower grill just long enough to mark them. Transfer to upper grill to complete cooking over indirect heat.
- Place all cut vegetables in a large bowl with the rosemary and oil, add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Grill vegetables on lower grill turning regularly until they start to soften, without burning them. Reduce heat on BBQ as required.
- Remove vegetables from grill as they become ready and add to bowl.
- When all the vegetables are done, add the juice and zest of lemon, stir well, cover and keep warm.
- When sausages are done, cut into thin slices lengthwise, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Spread one side of the focaccia with the mayonnaise and the other with the pesto.
- Place grilled vegetables on each base then sausage slices on top of them.
- Add mozzarella slices, close the sandwich, place on lower grill of turned-off BBQ and cook in residual heat 5 minutes.
- Cut sandwich into 6 squares and serve immediately.