- 4 slices garlic bologna (about 1 cm thick)
- 1 large Vidalia onion, cut into petals
- 3 zucchinis, cut into sticks
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- ½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- 1 multigrain ciabatta, cut into 4
- 8 slices Fontina cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Cut bologna slices into sticks. Set aside.
- Heat a good glug of oil in a large stainless steel pan on medium heat and cook onion petals until well coloured. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In the same pan, adding oil as needed, cook bologna sticks until well coloured. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In the same pan, lightly brown zucchini sticks, add garlic and time and continue cooking about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper and stock, lower heat and cook about 10 minutes or until all liquid is evaporated.
- Open up the baguette sections, place side by side on a baking sheet and place under broiler until lightly toasted.
- Place zucchini and bologna sticks on top, cover with cheese slices and place under broiler until cheese starts to bubble.
- Serve immediately.