Camper Smoked Ham & Cheese Melts
- 300 g double smoked Black Forest ham
- 2 red tomatoes, cut in 2
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) maple syrup mustard
- 2 pinches Espelette pepper
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 150 g smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices pumpernickel
- Vegetable oil
- Softened butter
- Lightly oil the tomato halves and place cut-side down on the grill over the coals. Cook 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Turn the tomatoes over and cook another 10 minutes.
- When tomatoes are done, remove from the fire, remove the skins and place in a salad bowl.
- Using a fork, lightly crush the tomatoes, add salt, pepper, Espelette pepper and olive oil and beat until an emulsion is formed.
- Spread the bread slices with butter then a thin layer of the tomato emulsion.
- Arrange the ham slices over top, then two spoons of tomato emulsion and cover with cheese.
- Place the bread on the grill over indirect heat and cook just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately with the remaining tomato emulsion.