Pepperoni Pizza Balls
- 175 g pepperoni, sliced
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) flaked red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped chives
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated parmesan
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated mozzarella
- 1 ball (454 g) pizza dough
- 1 cup (250 ml) marinara sauce, hot
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Chop the pepperoni slices into squares (about ¼ in./ 7 mm)
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium high heat, add some oil and cook the pepperoni until it starts to crisp.
- Add the garlic and the red pepper flakes and continue cooking another minute.
- Transfer the mixture into a large bowl, add the Italian seasoning, chives and parmesan and mix well. Do not wash the cast iron pan.
- Divide the dough in 2, lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough to form a sausage shape about 12 in. (30 cm) long.
- Cut the dough into rounds of 1 in. (2.5 cm).
- Gently roll the segments into balls and place in the bowl with the pepperoni-herb-parmesan mix.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Roll the dough balls in the mixture to coat evenly and place them side by side in the cast iron pan. Sprinkle balls with any remaining mixture. Cover with a dampened towel and let rise 4 hours. The dough should double in volume.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (230°C).
- Sprinkle the pizza balls with mozzarella and bake 25 minutes or until cheese just starts to brown. Serve hot accompanied by a bowl of marinara sauce.