Ham and maple butter crepe cake
- 300 g pepper ham, sliced thin
- ¾ cup (180 ml) buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup (180 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. (1.25 ml) salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) mineral water (approx.)
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) melted butter
- ¾ cup (180 ml) maple butter
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated mild cheddar
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Place flours and salt in a large mixing bowl, create a well and pour beaten eggs and milk
- inside and beat together while pouring in mineral water until batter is smooth and even.
- Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- After, pour in the melted butter and mix well. The mixture should be quite liquidy, add
- milk or mineral water as needed.
- Heat an 8-inch non-stick pan. Over medium heat, add some olive oil and then 1/3 cup of
- batter, tilting the pan all around to spread it evenly.
- When the crepe starts to brown at the edges, turn over and continue cooking another
- minute. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining batter, stacking up the crepes. Cover stack
- of crepes with plastic wrap for later use and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a bowl of water on the bottom grate.
- Place a crepe on an oven-proof platter and spread with maple butter.
- Cover with ham slices and 1/3 cup of cheese, add pepper and cover with another crepe.
- Repeat these steps layering the crepes, ham and cheese into a cake-like stack.
- Spread surface of crepe cake over evenly with a thin coat of maple butter, then cheese
- and bake on middle rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cut cake into wedges and serve immediately.