« Add sautéed vegetables of your choice, such as peppers and zucchini, to macaroni mixture. »
Successfully feeding an entire class of grade oners on parent's day can be a challenge. To keep everyone happy, your best bet is to whip up this delicious crispy mac & cheese bologna casserole.
- 300 g bologna, roughly chopped
- 375 g (750 ml or 3 cups) macaroni, cooked al dente
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- 200 g aged cheddar, grated
- fresh ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 150 g panko-type breadcrumbs
- 75 g parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 375° F. (190° C.).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes – be sure not to overcook. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter, add onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add flour and nutmeg and stir until smooth. Add milk slowly while whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute, continuing to whisk. Gradually add cheddar and continue cooking, whisking until cheese is melted. Remove from heat, add pasta and bologna. Mix well and check seasoning.
- Pour into an oven-safe dish. Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan. Spread evenly on top of macaroni.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until topping is golden brown.