- 350 g thinly sliced mock chicken
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pint brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, cut into rings
- 1 large red tomato, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn niblets
- Salsa verde, to taste (homemade or store bought)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 black bean wheat tortillas (8 in.)
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the onion until just coloured.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and pepper rings, salt and pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and cook until sauce has a dense texture.
- Remove from heat, add corn and mix well. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle some of the cheese on half of each tortilla.
- Add spinach and the stir fried veggies and flavour with a few drops of the salsa verde.
- End with the mock chicken slices and cover with remaining cheese.
- Fold undressed half of tortilla over fillings and press lightly.
- Heat 2 non-stick pans over medium heat and cook quesadillas 2 minutes per side.
- Cut each quesadilla in 2 and serve immediately, accompanied by a ramekin of salsa verde.