Spiced Pork Belly Sandwiches
- 1 Olymel pork belly - 2.6 kg
- Spice blend
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) salt
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) mild or smoked paprika
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) ground cumin
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) ground black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) mustard powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Cayenne pepperSandwich
- 3 baguettes cut into 3 sections and split lengthwise
- 1 curly lettuce, washed and dried
- Mayonnaise or spicy mayonnaise to taste
- 2 carrots, grated
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Combine all seasoning ingredients and rub evenly over both sides of the pork belly.
- Cut the pork belly into 1 cm thick slices.
- Preheat barbecue to 350°F for indirect cooking, with one portion of the grill that is not over direct heat.
- Grill the pork belly strips using indirect heat for about 20 minutes turning frequently to obtain optimal, even colouring. Do not place pork belly slices over open flame. Do not overload your grill. Melting fat could cause flare ups. Keep slices warm after cooking.
- Toast the inside of the baguette pieces. Build the sandwiches by brushing the toasted baguette with mayonnaise and garnish with lettuce, carrot, radish and cilantro.