Black Forest Smoked Ham and Vegetable Tempura California Rolls
« Another way to enjoy sushi »
After the fish version and the vegetable version, here's our take on the California roll, made with smoked ham and vegetable tempura. Get out your chopsticks!
- 150 g Olymel Smart & Natural Black Forest ham
- 6 cups sushi rice, freshly cooked
- 4 nori sheets
- 1 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
- Tempura vegetable (see recipe below)
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and cut in fine strips
- 2 tbsp. pickled ginger, finely sliced
- Wasabi paste, to taste
- Japanese soy sauce
- 1 cup finely julienned carrot
- 1 cup finely julienned turnip
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup water, very cold
- 1 egg white
- Spread a quarter of the rice over a nori sheet, sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and press firmly. Transfer and turn over onto shrink wrap sheet (rice facing wrap).
- Over the center of the roll, spread a bit of wasabi (to taste), place pickled ginger and cucumber horizontally and add ham and vegetable tempura.
- Roll together with slightly wet hands. Using bamboo mat, apply pressure to shape roll and properly secure ingredients at center of roll. Remove shrink wrap and cut roll in six. Repeat steps for each nori sheet. Serve with Japanese soy sauce.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and water and egg white in another bowl. Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and whip for one minute.
- Preheat oil in deep fryer on high temperature. Dip carrot and turnip sticks in batter before delicately plunging them into fryer. Fry until dough is golden. Remove fried vegetable from fryer, place on paper towel and let cool down.
Marc Laroche, Corporate Chef, Olymel