Salami Grilled Cheese with Maple Onion Jam
- 300 g salami, sliced thin
- 2 Vidalia onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) maple syrup
- ¾ cup (180 ml) dry cider
- 8 slices nut bread
- 4 slices raclette cheese
- Salted (or semi-salted) butter
- Salt and pepper
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, melt a quarter cup of butter and cook the onion slices over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until transparent.
- Pour in the cider vinegar and maple syrup and mix well, bring to a boil and simmer gently over low heat, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue cooking until texture is that of smooth jam.
- Salt to taste, add pepper and remove from heat.
- Place four slices of nut bread on a work surface, arrange salami slices on top, then the cheese then top with a generous spoon of the onion jam.
- Close the sandwiches, spread the exteriors with butter and grill in a cast iron pan 3 minutes per side.
- Cut in two and serve immediately.