Smoked Ham, Braised Cabbage & Bacon Sandwich
- 1 package (175 g) old fashioned smoked ham
- 2 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 4 cups (1 l) shredded red cabbage
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) white vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) raisins
- ½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) honey mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a stainless steel frying pan over medium heat and cook bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add cabbage and white vinegar and stir well.
- Add raisins and chicken stock, add salt and pepper and mix well. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, add balsamic vinegar, stir well and let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, toast the rye bread slices and spread with honey mustard.
- Arrange smoked ham over top, then garnish each sandwich with the balsamic braised red cabbage.
- Serve immediately.