Smoked Chicken and Onion Confit Melt on Baguette
- 1 package (150 g) shaved chicken breast
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) duck fat
- 2 pieces of baguette, cut in 2 along the side
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) Italian dressing (store bought)
- ¾ cup (180 ml) grated extra-old cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the duck fat in a small pot, add the onion slices and cook over very low heat for about 1 hour stirring occasionally to make the confit. Remove from heat and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spread the insides of the baguette generously with the Italian dressing.
- Arrange the shaved chicken breast then the drained onion confit on top. Add salt and pepper and cover with melted cheese.
- Close the baguettes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes.