Turkey Spring Rolls
- 300 g smoked turkey breast, chopped
- 1 small package bean thread vermicelli
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ tbsp. (37.5 ml) fish sauce
- ¼ tsp. (1.25 ml) pepper
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 or 2 packages wheat spring roll wraps (medium)
- Green curly lettuce
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch Vietnamese cilantro
- Nuoc mam sauce, to taste (homemade or store bought)
- Place the bean thread noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let soak 15 minutes.
- Place the onion, carrots and softened noodles in a bowl and mix well. Place mixture in a colander and press gently to remove as much liquid as possible. Let stand 10 minutes and press again.
- Place the mixture in a small mixing bowl, add the egg, fish sauce, pepper and garlic powder and mix well by kneading with your hands.
- Place a spring roll wrap on a work surface and fold up half the bottom side towards the center. Place a small sausage-shaped mound of the stuffing at the base of the wrap and roll up taking care to tuck in the sides so as to seal the roll.
- When the stuffing is all used up, place the rolls in a sealed container and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, heat a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C) and fry the rolls until golden brown on all sides.
- Place rolls on a serving platter accompanied by lettuce leaves, mint, cilantro and ramekins of nuoc mam sauce.
- People can wrap a roll in lettuce with the herbs of their choice before dipping into the nuoc mam sauce.