- 300 g honey smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) bechamel sauce, cold
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices brown bread, lightly toasted
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and place rack in middle position.
- Place the 4 slices of bread side by side on a baking sheet.
- Spread the slices with half of the bechamel.
- Arrange smoked ham slices on top, cover with remaining bechamel and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starting to colour.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Break the eggs side by side into the pan and cook until browned at the edges.
- Salt and pepper the eggs.
- When the Croque Monsieurs are ready, place 1 egg on the melted cheese, turning them into Croque Madames!
- Serve hot.