- 454 g roast chipotle turkey, cut into slices 1 cm thick
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 red pepper, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- ½ tbsp. (7.5 ml) chili powder
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp.(30 ml) brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp. (22.5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cut turkey slices into cubes. Set aside.
- In a stew pot, add a glug of oil and cook onion and pepper until lightly coloured.
- Add turkey cubes, garlic and chili powder and cook about one minute stirring constantly.
- Add chicken stock and stir well.
- Add tomato paste and sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. Mix well, heat until just boiling and simmer 30 minutes stirring regularly.
- For serving, pile the sloppy joe mixture on each bun and top with grated cheese. Serve hot.