This delicious recipe was created with passion in collaboration with dinettemagazine.com
- 65 ml (¼ cup) mustard seed, soaked in water overnight
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) cider vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) honey
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) salt
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground turmeric
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) caraway seed
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) applesauce
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) natural apple juice
- Oil for frying
- 315 ml (1¼ cups) fine cornmeal
- 190 ml (¾ cup) flour, plus a little more to coat sausages
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) sugar
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 375 ml (1½ cups) milk
- 8 Olymel merguez sausages (or another kind if preferred), cut in thirds
- 24 wooden sticks
- Prepare mustard. Drain mustard seed, place in bowl of food processor with remaining ingredients. Process until mixture is smooth. Set aside, chilled.
- Preheat oil in deep fryer to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Add egg and milk, whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Place each piece of sausage on a wooden stick. Pour a little flour onto a plate, coat sausages and shake to remove excess coating. Dip in batter, then fry in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes, until batter is golden and sausage is cooked through. Drain on paper towel and serve with mustard.