Merguez Dog with Two-Lemon Relish
- 1 package merguez sausage
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 lemons, sliced (preferably organic)
- ½ preserved lemon, chopped fine (homemade or store bought)
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) olive oil
- 1 green onion, chopped fine
- 6 country-style hot dog buns
- Place the sugar and water in a small pot and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the fresh lemon slices, mix well, bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove lemon slices from syrup, chop and place in a bowl.
- Add the preserved lemon, oil and green onion, add salt and pepper and mix well. If needed add a couple spoons of the cooking syrup until you obtain a relish-like texture. Refrigerated in a sealed container.
- Cook sausages on the barbecue and toast the buns.
- Place one sausage on each bun and garnish with 2-lemon relish. Serve immediately.